The Northeast is gearing up for what could go down as one of the most record breaking nor'easters to date: Winter Storm Niko. As many people usually do when preparing for snow storms, they get ready to stock up on salt for de-icing. So while you are out shopping and stocking up for a snow day don't panic about those pesky walkways.
Studies have shown that coffee grounds can be used to de-ice snowy walkways, proving to be not only delicious but also super practical in a pinch.
So...why exactly should you use coffee grounds instead of ice melt during winter storm Niko?
- It melts ice faster. Coffee has an acidity to it that will melt the ice faster than toxic salt. Who knew? Now you don't have to wait in line in the last minute chaos at the hardware store - unless you find yourself without a shovel, that is.
- It makes walkways less slippery. It's true - the grounds are proven to give you extra traction to combat that unpredictable ice.
- It's better for the environment. When salt is used for de-icing in the winter, it can damage sensitive plants and over time can wear away cement or asphalt surfaces. Coffee grounds, in all their natural glory, will do the exact opposite.
- It won't harm your fur babies! Salt can burn our pets if it lodges in their paws - and even worse, can be poisonous if they accidentally consume it. Pups require safe sidewalks for their daily walks they love and look forward to!
- It's more convenient - and less expensive. Let's face it - trekking to the hardware store to get ice melt for a storm is a pain in the you-know-what. Most households already have some sort of ground coffee in their cabinet. Not to mention, ice melt and salt are expensive, starting at upwards of $20 a bag - for a product you won't even get much use out of.
How do you use coffee grounds to salt your walkway? Is it really as simple as it sounds? Yes. It really is. All you need to do is replicate the exact routine you would with the salt, by pouring some coffee grounds along the path or walkway where you want to prevent falls and voila! a slip-free walkway.
Speaking of ground coffee, you've come to the right place. We have a wide selection of ground coffee, including Peet's fraction packs and 1lb bags, in addition to a variety of k-cup pods, flavia, gourmet coffee and more. Now you don't have to feel guilty about buying more ground coffee from your friends here at Tiki Hut - think of it as pulling double duty as a way to get your caffeine fix and as being a preventative measure this winter!